Sunday, September 21, 2008

#7-Blog About Technology

Technology is speeding ahead so fast that it is hard for me to keep up. Nothing makes you feel older than when you have to ask your kids to do something for you (program your cell phone, help you with your i-pod, hook up your new high def tv) and they can do it almost instinctually. I fight this so hard. I want to be able to do it for myself, but sometimes I get stuck and do have to ask. And I work in a library where I am constantly learning about new technologies! We recently went shopping for a new tv. Boy did I ever feel left behind. We talked and asked lots of questions from the salespeople, but very little was cleared up. We decided upon a television, but walked away from that experience feeling like we were just taking a leap of faith instead of making an informed decision. One even told us that the technologies he was showing us, didn't even exist a year ago. So keeping up with change is challenging. Learning something new takes time. It can be very frustrating. If we are to remain fresh and relevant, we must push forward in this area. The library should be a place that is using these new technologies and where you go to learn about them. I'm thankful for this program that is helping me in this area.

No comments: